5 Treatment Options for Heel Pain in San Francisco,
Heel pain is one of the most common foot complaints among people. Heel pain can have causes that aren't due to underlying disease. Examples include ill-fitting shoes, trauma, standing for long periods, and overuse such as long walks or marathons. Led by Dr. Daniel Alberts, Dr. Richard Rolfes, and Dr. Jasper Lee, Stonestown Podiatry Group (located in San Francisco, CA) offers treatments for heel pain. Read on to learn about 5 treatment options for heel pain.
1. Medications. Heel pain may respond to treatment with medications such as naproxen (Aleve), ibuprofen (Advil), and acetaminophen (Tylenol). You can also get relief of heel pain with targeted topical pain medications from your podiatrist. Be safe with medications. It's important to follow your podiatrist's directions when taking medicine.
2. Orthotic Devices. Podiatrists use customized orthotics to treat heel pain. Customized orthotics are specially-made devices designed to support and comfort your feet. Studies have shown that customized orthotics reduce foot pain, improve function, and reduce risk of injury.
3. Cortisone Shots. Cortisone injections can be used to relieve heel pain and reduce swelling. Cortisone injections allow podiatrists to deliver a high dose of medication directly to the problem area. The injections usually comprise a corticosteroid medication and local anesthetic. You can get cortisone shots at your podiatrist's office.
4. Stretches. Podiatrists often prescribe stretching exercises for various foot conditions. Research shows that stretching exercises relieve foot pain, improve function, and reduce swelling. Stretching exercises are easy to do and should be done on a daily basis to keep heel pain at bay.
5. Night Splints. Night splints are also used to treat heel pain. Night splints, which you wear while you sleep, hold your feet in a neutral position, thereby helping to reduce morning pain. They stretch the plantar fascia ligament and Achilles tendon and keep them from getting tight during the night. Night splints tend to work really well. And once your pain is gone, you can stop wearing them.
If you want freedom from pain, call Stonestown Podiatry Group at (415) 731-6700 today to schedule an appointment in San Francisco, CA. Our treatments bring real relief to heel pain sufferers. You will experience exemplary service and state-of-the-art care at Stonestown Podiatry Group!